Friday, June 19, 2009

OLDBOY : It Stinks


After reading all the great reviews about this "revenge" movie, I decided I should check it out. Oops. Ok, so the movie gets off to a pretty good start. The first hour or so is pretty intriguing, I was pleasantly surprised. The story is about how Oldboy is kidnapped and imprisoned in a hotel room for 15 years. He doesn't know who did it or why. So finally, on one random day he is released, and slowly uncovers who his captors were. It doesn't sound like a bad concept, and it isn't. But ultimately, it is executed incredibly poorly. Spoilers ahead.
At one point during the movie I thought to myself "please tell me this isn't about incest". Yes, incest. "How the hell did they work incest into the film? " You ask? Well, I'll tell you. Apparently one day in school Oldboy saw a brother and sister doing it and told his friend about it. Unwittingly, he caused the rumor to spread throughout the whole school. The sister ended up killing herself, thankfully, and the brother swore revenge on Oldboy. I can't believe it's that stupid. So finally, Oldboy meets the brother, and begs for his forgiveness! No revenge, no payoff, nothing! He even cuts out his own tongue, and crawls around barking like a dog. Making it one of the stupidest, tedious, most pathetic endings ever committed to film. I think most people like the movie because is it's foreign, and think this is some type of artistic shit. Sonny Chiba would kick this sissie's ass. I've seen plenty of foreign movies and I'm not fooled. Oldboy stinks.

No comments: